Dark leafy greens.
We need to eat more of them. They’re so good for us!
Yes, I’m sure you’ve heard that many times. But, let’s face it, munching salads all the time may not be too appetizing… especially if you’re talking about bitter greens like kale and arugula.
And who has the time to chew 20x per bite to digest the greens when you barely have enough time to sleep?
This is exactly why we love our smoothies, because they are a great way for you to include lots of greens in your diet, flood your system with maximum nutrition, fill you up and give you lots of fiber.
You can guzzle the smoothie on the run, or if you need something quick to quench your thirst after a hardcore workout.
And kale smoothies would be ideal, because they are the “supergreen”… the King of Vegetables.
So… I eagerly bought my bunch of kale and blended it… until I tasted it.
I almost puked. It was really that bitter.
I didn’t give up though… after around 30 tries, I’ve perfected my kale smoothie so it is not only palatable, but extremely easy to make with easily obtainable and digestible ingredients. Better yet, I’ve included high quality protein and fat in the smoothie to fuel your day, giving you boundless energy and fuel your workout.
And if you’ve been eating too much whey, dairy, and meat, you may need this smoothie to ease your constipation. Yes my friend, too much junk in your system can make you more tired, bloated, and reduce your power in workout sessions.
Brief Overview of Ingredients
Kale is packed with phytonutrients, fiber, and contains protein. The fiber present in kale can flush the toxins and junk out of your system, giving your lots of energy.
Strawberries are high in vitamin C and flavonoids which can potentially reduce muscle soreness and inflammation.
The succulent strawberries, coupled with a small dose of caramellike maple syrup, or coconut nectar, balances the bitter taste of kale and gives the smoothie a sweet aftertaste.
Hemp seeds offer high quality complete protein, essential fats and phytonutrients…making your smoothie creamier and more nutty.
Top that with fresh hydrating coconut water and coconut meat, rich in potassium, magnesium, and healthy fats, which can speed up workout recovery.
Strawberry and Kale Energy Boosting Smoothie
- 1 Cup of Curly Kale or Purple Kale
- 1.5 Cup of Frozen Strawberries
- 1 Young Coconut
- 2 Tablespoon of Hemp Seeds
- 1 Tablespoon of Maple Syrup or Coconut Nectar
- Optional: 1/2 Cup of Cashews for Extra Protein, Iron, and Healthy Fat
- Optional: 2 Drops of Strawberry Extract for Extra Strawberry Flavor
- Open coconut. Pour coconut water in cup. Scoop coconut meat out.
- Put all ingredients in blender.
- Blend until smooth. Make sure you blend for over 30 seconds to make sure the smoothie is smooth, unless you want it to be chunky.
- Add ice if not cold enough and blend again.
- If you think the smoothie is too “diluted” you can add a bit more strawberries if you want it to be sweeter, more kale if you like the bitter taste, or more coconut meat if you want the smoothie to be creamier.
- Please use curly or purple kale instead of dinosaur kale because they are less bitter. You can even use the stems leftover from salads you make for the smoothie.
- Make sure you use organic strawberries and organic kale if possible, given pesticides sprayed on non-organic strawberries and kale associated with cancer and hormone disruption.
- You can even add some coconut oil to this smoothie if you want extra fat, though I’ve left it out as I believe the fat content from hemp seeds and coconut meat are sufficient. As I’ve said cashews are optional but can make the smoothie even creamier.
- And I left bananas out. I love bananas, but I really like the taste of strawberries, and I think the taste of bananas can dilute the taste of strawberries. However, by all means, add a banana if you want.
- I love this recipe because it is vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free and paleo-friendly.