There’s a misconception that desserts are bad for you. Desserts make you fat. Desserts are the culprit of weight gain… as if the next bite into a chocolate cake is a big, big sin.
Sin or Soul food?
Of course, desserts made with cups and cups of fattening and artificial caster sugar, butter, full fat milk aren’t exactly conducive to your belly.
However, desserts made with raw, natural and organic ingredients are actually good for your soul and body. They are also beautifying and energy boosting foods.
This is why…You Have Your Cake and Eat It Too… but you have to be innovative. Go out of your comfort zone. For instance, substitute caster sugar with coconut sugar, maple syrup or stevia. Likewise with butter, use coconut oil instead.
I will be posting a series of raw dessert recipes. Desserts that are celebratory food for your soul and body. Desserts that are great for the holidays, significant events, or even daily treats!
Enjoy the sweetness of your desserts!
Makes 12 slices (7.5’ Diameter/ 2’ Height)
Walnut-Date Cacao Crust
c. 100g Chopped Raw Walnuts
c. 100g Chopped Raw Medjool Dates
c. 50g Cacao Nibs
c. 20g Coconut Flakes
Sprinkle of Himalayan Salt
c. 1 cup of coconut meat (around 4-5 coconuts) or 1 cup of raw coconut powder
c. ¾ cup of maple syrup
c. ½ cup of coconut milk
c. 1 teaspoon of stevia
c. 3 cups of soaked cashew nuts
c. 2 cups of Irish moss jelly
c. 2 cups of coconut oil
c. ½ cup of cacao nibs
c. 4-5 tablespoon of cacao powder
- Chop the walnuts and dates. Place them into food processor or vitamix. Process ingredients until nuts are broken down and mixture is consistent. Add cacao nibs and coconut flakes. Process again until mixture starts to rise on sides of vitamix or food processor bowl. The mixture should be “doughy” and held together.
- Press crust to bottom of cake tin and lightly press by hand until mixture is spread evenly.
- To make the irish moss, soak dried irish moss in filtered water overnight. Chop the irish moss and blend it with 1 – 1 ½ cup of water until the mixture is smooth.
- Soak cashew nuts for 2-3 hours. Drain nuts.
- Add coconut and coconut milk into vitamix and process till smooth
- Add the remaining ingredients (except the cacao nibs and cacao powder) and continue process till very smooth
- Add cacao nibs into mixture and mix with spoon or spatula
- Pour mixture into crust
Leave to set in freezer for 2-3 hours or refrigerator for 18 hours
Sprinkle cake with cacao powder with sifter and Himalayan salt
Why Cashew Nuts?
Cashew nuts are often used in raw desserts as fillings. Cashews give the cake a very creamy texture. Cashews also have a lower fat content than most other nuts and contain oleic acid which is great for your heart and skin.
Why Coconut Oil?
Why Irish Moss?
– MANA! HK