As you start the New Year, the easiest place to improve your diet is through breakfast. Breakfast sets a good start of the day and gives you the energy to get a good workout, especially if you’re going to be spending your whole day in the sun or playing in the ocean!
Other than my breakfast smoothies, I’d like to share with you a granola recipe I created. While this recipe is not 100% raw, I’ve included a lot of raw ingredients here. If you heat your oven to below 116 degrees and leave your oven door open, you can still retain a lot of the enzymes and nutrients from this recipe.
This recipe can also protect you from the sun, given the high vitamin E content from the sunflower seeds and almonds. However, please note that you still need to put on sunscreen (preferably SPF 30 + & water-resistant) to protect against the UV rays.
Other than the sun protection property I mentioned, what makes this recipe unique is the secret ingredient. Have you ever bought a bag of granola and only picked out parts (i.e. nuts) you liked and barely ate the rest? I call these delicious parts the “secret” ingredient – the little secret that makes your granola tastes all the better and keeps you going for more!
The best part is – this secret ingredient combines natural dates, heart and brain healthy nuts as well as energizing cacao nibs. This little secret makes this crunchy granola uniquely tasty – toasty, crunchy with a hint of vanilla, cinnamon and carob… The natural carbs as well as plant protein from the nuts will also keep you going when you’re playing in the sea!
Read on for more…
Preparation Time: 20 minutes to mix, 30 minutes – 1 hour to “bake”
c. 3-4 cups of organic rolled oats (You can choose gluten-free oats. The rest of the ingredients are gluten free)
c. 1 tablespoon of extra virgin coconut oil
c. ½ cup of raw, unsalted almonds
c. ½ cup of raw, unsalted sunflower seeds
c. ½ cup of maple syrup
c. 1 tablespoon of carob powder
c. 1 tablespoon of ground cinnamon powder
c. ½ teaspoon of natural vanilla extract
c. 1 tablespoon coconut sap sugar
c. 10 pitted dates
c. ½ cup of raw, unsalted walnuts
c. ½ cup of raw cacao nibs
Pinch of Himalayan salt
- Preheat oven to 100 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Mix the rolled oats, almonds, sunflower seeds and coconut oil together. Make sure coconut oil is evenly spread across the whole mixture.
- Add maple syrup to mixture and mix.
- Add coconut sugar, carob powder and vanilla extract.
***** The Secret Ingredient! *****
- Chop the walnuts and dates. Place them into food processor or vitamix. Process ingredients until nuts are broken down and mixture is consistent. Add cacao nibs. Process again until mixture starts to rise on sides of vitamix or food processor bowl. The mixture should be “doughy” and held together.
- Roll the mixture into mini balls (the size of a one-cent coin, if not smaller), and mix with the oat mixture.
- Spread the secret ingredient as well as oat mixture onto baking pan.
- Bake in oven for one hour. Check up on your granola regularly.
Feel free to add in some dried raisins!
The walnuts, dates and carob nibs mixture should be very crunchy and provides a unique flavor that is similar to dried fruit, with a different texture.
The almonds and sunflower seeds contain vitamin E and manganese that protects your skin from ultraviolet light and balances blood sugar level. This is particularly useful if you will be spending your time outdoors, at the beach, or doing strenuous watersports such as kiteboarding and surfing 🙂